Thursday, October 19, 2006
Sleeping Like a Baby

A newborn baby, that is. Up ALL THE TIME. Apparently the "cold" I thought Andrew had was indeed a raging ear infection. His temp shot up to about 102 on Monday afternoon (and that was after having Tylenol all day, every 4 hrs), so at bedtime I started him on Motrin. No help. We were up ALL.NIGHT.LONG. I think we both got about 30 minutes of sleep. He was just whimpering and fussing, and there was nothing I could do except wait until the next dosage time. I felt so helpless. He was burning up, and at 6 am his temp was 103. I took him to the ped as soon as they opened on Tuesday morning, and the doc immediately checked his ears and said "ear infection!" He got a shot of antibiotics to bring the fever down immediately, and has started a 10-day regimen of the meds. He's doing SO much better now, but still waking up every two hours. All he needs is to be patted or rocked and he goes right back down, but MAN am I tired. Three nights of little to no sleep is wearing me thin. I kept him home from playgroup today since the fever has weakened his little immune system and he still needs the rest and lots of cuddling. I don't want him to get any other cute little baby sick or catch anything from anyone else since he's not fully recuperated*...He was never sick before starting the Mom's Club. He loves the other babies and the socialization, so I don't want to quit the club but I do hate that he's been sick twice now. I guess twice in nearly 8 months is not bad, though...right? And the colds will only help to make his immune system stronger, right?
Anyway. Gotta run. The prince has awakened!

*Edited to add the words in italics since I apparently left it out in my sleep-deprived state earlier and made it sound like I was mad at the Mom's Club or something. I'm SO not mad or anything. I know this is a totally normal thing and keeping him away from other people is NOT what I want. He and I both would get so bored staying around the house all the time!





4 Comments:
Blogger Cat, Galloping had this to say:

ugh, sorry he's sick and no one is sleeping. don't feel like you have to quarantine him, though, to prevent him from ever getting sick. it's gonna happen.

 

Blogger Anna had this to say:

Oh, gosh, I didn't mean for it to sound like I kept him home to quarantine him...I just didn't want him to spread anything (just in case), and the ped suggested staying home a few days to let his immune system build back up because it was weakened due to the fever. Maybe I should edit...

 

Blogger Sara had this to say:

Gees, we went through the fever thing recently, too. I was EXHAUSTED. Hope he feels better soon!

 

Blogger Roxanne had this to say:

Yuck. Sorry about the ear infection. I keep thinking he has them and he doesn't.

I secretly bragged to myself how my child never gets sick and now within the last 3 months he has gotten sick like 3 times. I think it's because he's been around more and more kids. Yuck. It sucks!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< back to the main page

Keeping the Faith


This is me, sharing my journey through struggling to conceive, surviving miscarriage, and, finally, receiving the greatest blessing ever...the gift of a healthy, beautiful little boy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smalltown, Georgia, United States

I'm a Christian. My husband is my very best friend. After much turmoil, including two miscarriages, our family is now complete with our handsome son and beautiful daughter!

annairvin@hotmail.com

Layout design & graphics by mela
Powered by Blogger