Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Warning! Baby News...

I had my 30-week appointment today! Dr. E was out of town so I saw Dr. H (He is quite wonderful, so it was no big deal to me...I told him Dr. E had better keep her butt in town during late-Feb/early March, but if he delivers that'll be fine with me, too). Basically, everything looks terrific and Andrew's heartbeat is strong and steady. My blood pressure was "excellent" they said. :)
I told Dr. H about my freak-out on Christmas Eve regarding Andrew's movement and those two days when he was kinda quiet. He asked if I'd done kick counts and I said yes...I got 10 good kicks in 20 minutes. He said that was great and things can indeed change due to baby's position, size, and mood. He's human too, after all, and has his up and down days just like we do. He said to call anytime I felt real concern, especially if I couldn't get 10 movements in an hour. I feel much better about that. He asked if my blood sugar was doing OK and I said yes, except when I cheat, of course. He said he couldn't blame me...it was the holidays, after all.
I got my doctor's letter for my maternity leave request. (Does anyone else have to have doctor's letters stating that we need at least six weeks' leave postpartum? Seems crazy to me!) I asked him if he couldn't lie and say I need bedrest and just can't possibly work the rest of the year, but he just laughed and said no. Oh well. I tried.
He measured my belly and I'm measuring 31 weeks...right on target. He said that, starting at 34 weeks, they would start monitoring me more closely and doing non-stress tests to keep an eye on Andrew's size, heartrate, movement, etc. I guess at 34 weeks they start really gaining lots of weight and that's when they can become too big or possibly develop problems when the mom has GD. He said that if any issue appeared we would discuss early induction or possible C-section, but if we can wait and let him come on his own we'll do just that.
Overall, a wonderfully boring visit. I go back in 2 weeks (I'll get to see Dr. E this time!), and the next visit after that will be the first non-stress test! If anyone can tell me what that's like (I know several of you have gone through these), please share!





4 Comments:
Blogger laura had this to say:

what a great appointment!

at my nsts, i was in a semi-reclining position on an exam table with two belts around my belly. one belt has a monitor for the baby and one has a monitor for the mom. the belts have velcro ends but the ones i had were quite soft and actually not at all uncomfortable. wires from the monitors then run to the machines that measure the baby's heartrate and yours. as you get close to your due date, your monitor might start to measure mild contractions, which is fun to see. it made me feel like i was making progress!

the machine measuring the baby's heartrate will print a readout showing the variations over the 20 minutes or so you are being monitored. you should be able to hear the heartrate, too, which is nice and soothing. they will be looking for at least two good spikes in heartrate in 20 minutes, which indicates the baby is having regular aerobic activity. you will probably also be handed a button to push every time you feel a movement, and your buttonpushing will also be recorded on the readout of the baby's heartrate.

if you look out for the machine when you first go into the testing room, you can be sly and try to position yourself so you can see the readouts. i always liked to see if the kicks i felt corresponded to the spikes in heartrate. you can't move around during the test, so pick your position wisely, because 20 minutes can be a long time in the third trimester, especially if you have to pee!

 

Blogger cat had this to say:

Yah Anna, congrats on the good appointment. Glad you are feeling good and staying healthy. Best wishes to you all.

 

Blogger Julie had this to say:

My NST's were the only thing that got me through those last few weeks with Evan!!! THey were my SANITY!! They were basically how Laura described, but with me, The machine was positioned right beside me, and the nurse always turned it so I could see what was going on. I was also on an exam table, but laying on my left side with a little pillow behind me. PEE BEFORE YOU START! They were usually around 30 minutes, but sometimes they end up longer. Basically they want to make sure that when the baby moves, the heart rate responds (goes up). I really think you will look forward to them each week after you get past that first one! Glad you had a good appointment! Not much longer!

 

Blogger Roxanne had this to say:

Just echoing...the NSTs are not bad at all. I never had to push the button. They just looked to see that he was moving enough. I think maybe toward the end they monitored any contractions I was having too.

They are actually pretty fun. The biophysical profiles are better because you get to see the baby!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< back to the main page

Keeping the Faith


This is me, sharing my journey through struggling to conceive, surviving miscarriage, and, finally, receiving the greatest blessing ever...the gift of a healthy, beautiful little boy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smalltown, Georgia, United States

I'm a Christian. My husband is my very best friend. After much turmoil, including two miscarriages, our family is now complete with our handsome son and beautiful daughter!

annairvin@hotmail.com

Layout design & graphics by mela
Powered by Blogger