Monday, June 05, 2006
Frustration

When am I going to learn not to open my big mouth? For weeks Andrew was sleeping 11 hrs a night. And. yes, Friday night he slept 12.5 hrs straight. Awesome. Ever since then, though, he's been fighting sleep, crying/screaming when I put him down (putting him to bed takes 1.5 hrs longer now), and up 2-3 times a night. Where is my precious baby? I have no idea if I should let him cry it out or keep going in there to get him when he cries. He's SO TIRED. His eyes are all red, he can barely kick...I know he's exhausted. He's just learned that mommy and daddy are more fun than an empty room so he fights to stay up with us. During the day, he's great. Awake for about an hour, then as soon as I swaddle him, he's out like a light. Take great naps with VERY minimal (if any) fussing.

Please, mommies out there...Help. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted and tried. Help me get Andrew to sleep like he used to! I know I should be grateful 'cause so many people have it so much worse, but when you're used to a great sleeper, changes like this can really throw you for a loop!





4 Comments:
Blogger Cat, Galloping had this to say:

How many weeks is he? I know I just slammed the Wonder Weeks but I found it really useful up until now. There are leaps at 5, 8, 12 and 19 weeks (+/- 1 week) that can disrupt sleep in the 1-3 weeks leading up to them (little longer for the 19 week leap).

I personally think he's a bit young for CIO. Give it a few days of doing whatever you can to help him sleep before you make other changes.

Then you might want to try keeping him up a little more in the daytime, like can you get to 2 hours of awake before naps?

 

Blogger lorem ipsum had this to say:

Hey, I heard this story on the way home yesterday about your exact problem. You can read/listen to it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5452458

I'd love to hear how it works for you. Good luck!

 

Blogger Anna had this to say:

Thanks, girls!
Lorem - I will check it out!! Thanks!
Cat - I was just thinking about the Wonder Weeks thing this morning! He's 14w4d...but he was 2 weeks early. So should I consider him 12w4d? That would put him right at the 12 week leap...Whatever it is, I am NOT letting him CIO at this point. So far, he's been down for awhile! Fingers crossed!

 

Blogger Roxanne had this to say:

Is he waking up because he's hungry? Up until about a month ago we gave Gideon a dreamfeed at around 11PM before we went to sleep. It was his sludge feed....formula mixed with rice cereal...kinda like a milkshake. It kept his tummy full overnight.

Can you put him on your bed with you and let him get all sleepy and transition him to the crib when he's really tired. That seems to keep Gideon calm when he's clearly tired but fighting sleep. We also used the swing for a really long time. I don't know what it was about that swing...he would sleep wayyyyy longer in it than in the crib.

 

Post a Comment

<< back to the main page

Keeping the Faith


This is me, sharing my journey through struggling to conceive, surviving miscarriage, and, finally, receiving the greatest blessing ever...the gift of a healthy, beautiful little boy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smalltown, Georgia, United States

I'm a Christian. My husband is my very best friend. After much turmoil, including two miscarriages, our family is now complete with our handsome son and beautiful daughter!

annairvin@hotmail.com

Layout design & graphics by mela
Powered by Blogger