Thursday, June 08, 2006
Hmmm...

The night wakings continue! Two nights ago, Andrew actually did sleep from 7:30 until 5:30, so that's good, but last night he was back to his old tricks again, waking up at 4:20 am just to be re-swaddled and rocked back to sleep (no feedings). We are now on DAY 13 of sleepus interruptus. What the heck is going on? I was ready to chalk it up to a Wonder Weeks leap, but the dang book says the baby should be back to normal within a week. Ummm...its been nearly two weeks now. I just don't get it. For four weeks we had a great sleeper on our hands - 11 hrs straight each night. Now we're in two weeks of hell. Some nights he only wakes up once (@ 4-4:30 am), but some nights he's up at 12, 2, 4 and then 6 am. Whatever...I give up. I don't know what's happened, but I'm hoping he gets it back together again SOON.

On the other hand, he's laughing like crazy and sitting up with minimal support...He "chats" with me all the time...He's so freakin' happy! I LOVE IT. Seeing that beautiful smile makes it all worth it, even when he's waking me up at 4 am. :) Now if I could just get him to keep his food down. The reflux is STILL acting up. I might call the doc back tomorrow and see if there's anything more we can do. We're already adding TWO TSP of rice cereal per oz of formula (per ped's instructions, of course) and he's on the meds. I just HATE the constant vomiting. He's not in a lot of pain, but sometimes its as if he's choking and it freaks me out. He shouldn't still be vomiting two hours after he's eaten, should he??

I am such a clueless mom. I don't want to be the mom the doctor hates because I call ALL THE TIME, but dang it, I want my baby to be able to eat and enjoy it! What should I do?

I know your answer: RELAX. Yeah, I know, I know...I'll try my best.





4 Comments:
Blogger Kathy McC had this to say:

First of all, you should call the doctor anytime you feel you need to. Who cares if they think you're neurotic. You are paying them to be there, so use them!

Secondly, you're not clueless. You're doing a great job. It's frustrating when they have reflux and all you want to do is make it better.

Keep trying with the food. If he doesn't do well with cereal, try some banana, avocado or sweet potato. Then when you find something he likes, mix it with cereal to flavor it. If he throws up a couple hours later, it's okay. At least he's given himself some time to absorb the nutrients.

Kam throws up at all hours of the day, regardless of the meds and food. But he's happy as long as I keep up with the Zantac. If Andrew is miserable and screaming, that's another story. But if he seems content, than the throwing up is fine. Just a nuisance. (And of course he should keep gaining weight.)

Hope it gets better soon.

 

Blogger Sara had this to say:

I just got the Zantac prescription yesterday, but of course my damn insurance company lost her birth certificate, so I can't fill it yet, but I am hoping it helps.

Ainsley seems to be up at 4 am now. Getting her back down is hard and she is ultra-fussy by 7-8am, but sometimes won't go down for a long nap, despite yawning, etc. I know how it goes!

 

Blogger lorem ipsum had this to say:

I wish I could give you some advice, but Kathy's sounds good, tried and tested.

Hang in there!

 

Blogger Jillian had this to say:

First, re sleep interruptions. When E was tiny she slept ok until she could move well on her own and then every time she half woke she'd try sit up or roll and then she'd fully wake. She's nearly 6 and still does it on occasion. I wish I'd dealt with it when it started but I had no clue as to how. So best of luck with that one:) Sorry not to have an answer for you, but I have empathy in bucket loads!

As for the vomiting, S used to vomit all day every day. It caused her no pain and she was fat enough so I never saw a doctor about it. At some point around the time she started walking, she stopped. I guess gravity helped her out. Just wait until he's crawling and spewing. Watch your step!

With all these things, although worrying, they mostly pass. Some times you have to act upon them to stop them or change habits, but not always. The trick is figuring out what is what. Not easy - so don't feel silly about calling a doctor for advice. And you've always got us:)

 

Post a Comment

<< back to the main page

Keeping the Faith


This is me, sharing my journey through struggling to conceive, surviving miscarriage, and, finally, receiving the greatest blessing ever...the gift of a healthy, beautiful little boy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smalltown, Georgia, United States

I'm a Christian. My husband is my very best friend. After much turmoil, including two miscarriages, our family is now complete with our handsome son and beautiful daughter!

annairvin@hotmail.com

Layout design & graphics by mela
Powered by Blogger